Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Recycled Recycle Bin

 
We live in my grandparents' old home. It's an old farm house that's over 100 years old. We are in the process of remodeling it. We've been in this process for the past 9 years now. There are still places that need molding and a few doors that need painting, among other things. We do a little here and there as we get the time and the money. My dad made our beautiful, handcrafted, oak cabinets - pro bono. God bless him! But he wasn't able to finish them, leaving us with no top cabinets and an unfinished edge by the fridge.
I've been trying to think of a way to hide this area because it is a bit of an eye sore.
 
I recently bought Super E a new basket ball goal. I had planned on saving the box for a later project so I slid it beside the fridge to get it out of the way until I had time to put it away. It was just the right width to fit perfectly between my unfinished cabinets and the fridge. Wouldn't it be nice If I could find a way to use this box to fill in this space? But what could I use it for?

We've been in need of an indoor recycle bin for our aluminum cans for quite some time now. We go through a lot of cans in our house... Well... I go through a lot of cans. What can I say? I have a soda drinking problem. And, yes, I know soft drinks are bad for me. I need to drink more water. I'm working on it.
 
This box would make a perfect makeshift recycle bin. I started by cutting the top flaps off of the box. I had just enough black spray paint to paint one side. This was the only side that would be showing so that worked out great!
There was a bad place at the top where a piece of tape had been. The trash bag covers that up nicely.
 
Dr. X collects signs and happened to have several recycle bin signs. I was able to talk him out of one - only because he had 3 more exactly like it. It gave our bin a nice finishing touch. If you don't have an avid sign collector in your house you could always print one from the internet and decoupage it on.
Voila! Much better than the ugly space that was here before. The best part... It was completely free to make. I had all of the materials that I needed right here. Yes, I love these kind of projects!
 
Questions and comments are always welcome. You can also email me at adventuresofahomeschoolmama@gmail.com
 
Thanks for stopping by! Please make sure to check back. I'm just getting started but I will be adding new stuff daily.

 
 


1 comment:

  1. What a great, clever idea! I could use one that holds that much recycling too...it's funny, my house seems to have as much recycling as trash sometimes...guess we need to work on the "reduce/reuse" part---I love the added sign to make it look like a real recycling bin!

    ReplyDelete